Friday, August 27, 2010

Parmesan Meringue: Fail


I saw this recipe in the Gourmet Cookbook which was last revised in 1965 and the thought of it really excited me.
Meringues au Parmesan
Beat 2 or 3 egg whites with a little pinch of cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon salt until they are stiff.  Stir in 4 to 5 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, mixing thoroughly.  Drop the meringues by teaspoons into hot deep fay (385) and fry them until they are delicately browned on all sides.  Remove the meringues with a perforated ladle, drain on absorbent paper, and dust with paprika.  Serve hot.

Sounds great, doesn't it?  I had made a mental image of this wonderfully light, fluffy, ethereal cloud of cheesy, nutty heaven.  This was not to be.
Beat egg whites:check.  I have this wonderful meringue that is not at all affected by cayenne or salt.  Stir in 4 to 5 tablespoons  parmesan: yeah, I did that and the meringue fucking fell!    I spent another 10 minutes whipping the hell out of them before I realized that the reason meringues must absolutely not have any yolk is probably the same reason the meringue would not rise again after I added fatty cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I was right there with this. So excited with the thought of meringue and cheese. Alas, not to be.

    ReplyDelete