Friday, August 27, 2010

Sorry sprouts, I'm just not that into you

I have spent the last few years loving to grow my own food.  I have very little space and the actual volume of food that I get from my garden and containers doesn't really comprise a large portion of my diet.  However, the quality of the food that I grow is worth so much more than what I can buy.
It occurred to me after I had a packet of radish seeds that it would be quite nice to have baby radish greens.  They are wonderful and delicate and have such a bright flavor.  After a bit of wikipedia web searching I concluded that I would start growing my own sprouts!  The reality of growing sprouts isn't that great.  It is a process of soaking them, and then rinsing them 2 or 3 times a day.  Oh, and they mustn't be exposed to sunlight.  And they need to be kept at a pretty consistent temperature around 70 degrees.  That sounds kind of like an environment bacteria and mold and other nasty things grow.  I think I would rather rely on commercial growers that(hopefully) have it down to a science and are doing it in a sterile environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment